What can we say? December was a celebratory month for us. We had not one, but two events filled with holiday cheer!
Giving Toys for Christmas
On December 7th we partied for a purpose at the Detroit Yacht Club for the 7th Annual Toys for Tots Detroit Black Professionals Holiday Mixer. The event was organized by sixteen of Detroit’s Black Professional Associations, including Black Young Professionals of Metro Detroit. Throughout the night, we were entertained by D.J. Dean Beanz and were treated to a special performance by Detroit’s very own, Pierre Anthony. Among all of the black professional groups, it was awesome to see so many familiar friendly faces and to make new connections as well. We appreciate all who were able to attend. As a result of contributions from attendees, organizers, and corporate sponsors, together, we raised $3,000 for Toys for Tots of Southeastern Michigan. The funds raised were handed over directly to the Sergeant of Detroit Toys for Tots in a presentation made that evening around 7:00pm. These funds will be going directly towards ensuring Toys for Tots is able to support every family which approaches them this holiday season, is able to put something under the tree for their child to unwrap on Christmas morning.
Participating Detroit Black Affinity Professionals organizations:
- Black Young Professionals of Detroit (BYP)
- Detroit Association of Planners (DAP)
- Detroit Association of Realtors (DAR)
- Michigan Minority Contractors Association (MMCA)
- National Association of African Americans in Human Resources (NAAAHR)
- National Association of Black Accountants (NABA)
- National Association of Black Women in Construction, Inc. (NABWIC)
- National Association of Minority Consulting Engineers (NAMCE)
- National Black Data Processing Associates – Detroit Chapter (BDPA-Detroit)
- National Black MBA Association Detroit Chapter (NBMBAA)
- National Black Public Relations Society Detroit (NBPRS)
- National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA)
- National Society of Black Engineers, Detroit Alumni (NSBE)
- Urban Financial Services Coalition – Detroit Chapter (UFSC Detroit)
- Women’s Council of Greater Detroit
- Wolverine Bar Association (WBA)
Our first Holiday Kick Back!
In maintaining the holiday spirit the following week, things got ugly…well, just our sweaters! On Thursday December 14th, we hosted our first ever Holiday Game Night and Ugly Sweater party. This was only our second in-house holiday social event since the organization’s founding. Over 70 members and followers joined us at The Scott at Brush Park in Midtown Detroit. This was truly a community driven event, with a full holiday meal prepared by Chef Xaviar Jaramillo of Xav’s Catering, and decadent desserts from For the Love of Sugar. All night long, guests enjoyed everything from roast beef and herb chicken, to cake and macarons. However, the parade of ugly sweaters was truly a sight for sore eyes with large panel of over ten strong contestants. The votes were cast, counted, certified, and we had a winner!
If you look at his sweater, you can see there was clearly no collusion in this election. It was definitely a family affair; there was enough positive energy and vibes in that room to get us through 2018. This was an incredible way to end the year.
As always, we appreciate and are thankful for each and every member’s support over the past year. We wish you a happy holiday season. We also would like to give special thanks to the following individuals for their strong support for these events:
- Xavier Jaramillo, Caterer (Holiday Game Night event)
Xav’s Catering, (313) 580-8125
- Chancia VanLowe, Photographer (Toys for Tots event)
Click on the photo below to view that gallery on Facebook!