We had a new group discussion/coffee talk this month… if you missed it… there’s a 2hr video you can watch. But let us explain what happened first…
On January 22nd we held part one of “#BLM & Politics” at Whole Foods Detroit. The event, combined with a high-definition Facebook Live feed, drew deep discussion and many opinions on the topic of #BlackLivesMatter. Members and visitors alike joined us for a 2 hours dialog covering:
- What is #BlackLivesMatter
- What did it do in 2016?
- Why did we need #BlackLivesMatter
- How did other people view the movement?
- Who are “allies” and why are they important?
- How do we have productive discussions with non-Blacks?
- What does economics have to do with humanity?
- Did the movement push people to vote for Trump?
There were still many questions left unanswered, and we must continue our conversation. Another discussion will be scheduled and also live-streamed again. Questions still to be answered include:
- Why didn’t the Regional Transit Authority proposal pass?
- Why didn’t the people’s CBA proposal pass?
- Is 2017 going to be a year Blacks in Metro Detroit pull up our boots? Or is it business as usual?
- Did we have the right allies in 2016 for all of our Black-focused initiatives ?
If you missed part one, the entire discussion is available on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/BYPDetroit/videos/
Stay tuned for discussion part 2! Coming in a few weeks!